Wednesday 28 January 2015

I Lack an Experience

SI've spent the entire two weeks since this post first popped up desperately wracking my brain for an experience of this sort, and I honestly can't think of any at all. I guess I have the most average senses in the history of humanity.
Since I can't think of a time I've sensed something differently than others (besides preferring certain foods of course, but that's not very intriguing), I figured I'd write about something (still sense related!) we've surely all heard before:
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around, does it still make a sound?
This question has been the topic of debate since philosopher George Berkely first poised it in 1710. The split of opinions resulting is obvious, and people (as people often do) have found countless ways to justify their ideas. Those that say it does not make a sound proclaim that sensations must be sensed to be real, and without a human to sense these sensations they are simply senseless. Those who say it does make a sounds justify their belief by examining the minutae of the sound itself-of course, the tree will produce kinetic energy as it falls, which will always, always be transmitted into sound energy when it hits; humans are irrelevant. Personally, I agree with the second opinion. Our senses do not determine reality as a whole, but rather our personal realities. There was an earth before humans, and a universe before the Earth, and surely sounds were emmitted without humans there to appreciate them. The first opinion is in my opinion a sign of human arrogance, and the belief that humans are for some reason more important than other living organisms. Of course, we can't KNOW that the tree would make a sound, but-and here's where I get TOK to the max-what CAN we know, if we don't sense it? I know I have a functioning brain; I'm alive, after all. I've never seen, felt, heard, tasted or smelled this brain, but I've experienced its effects. The same goes for the tree. Although I didn't sense it fall, from personal experience and mysterious "common sense", I know it made a sound even though I wasn't there to hear it. Humans only determine their personal realities; actual reality is much more concrete.

1 comment:

  1. I like your topic better! You are really beginning to understand how to TOK (to the max). :)
    So, does only human sensing matter? Is our knowing more important? What if a bear sees/hears the tree fall? What about an ant? A newt? An amoeba?

    ReplyDelete